Congregation Tikkun v’Or’s Bereavement Support Group was formed with the kavana or intention of providing support at times of bereavement, as well as when anticipating the death of a loved one or thinking about the end of one’s own life.
The Bereavement Support Group can be reached at: BereavementSupport@tikkunvor.org.
When a loved one dies, we would like to be able to assist you as quickly as possible. Please use the following procedure:
- Email Naomi at: email@example.com
- Call TvO Administrator Naomi Wilensky: (607) 280-6781
- If Naomi is unavailable and not able to return your call/email, you may call Rabbi Brian Walt on his cell phone: (508) 560-0589
- You may email the Bereavement Support Group at anytime: BereavementSupport@tikkunvor.org
The Bereavement Support Group has put together several guides that honor the spirit and traditions of Judaism while also suggesting ways of adapting traditional practices for modern times and for our multicultural community.
- JEWISH PRACTICES AND RITUALS FOR DEATH AND MOURNING describes traditional and alternative Jewish practices during the period leading up to the end-of-life and for the year following a death.
- LOCAL RESOURCES WHEN A LOVED ONE DIES focuses on resources in the Ithaca area, and lays out the chain of communications and decisions needed when faced with the death of a loved one.
- MA’ARIV FOR A HOUSE OF SHIVA: Evening Service for the First Week of Remembrance is a compilation of traditional and contemporary prayers, poetry and other readings for gatherings during the initial mourning period following burial. This booklet is available on request by contacting the Bereavement Support Group (BereavementSupport@tikkunvor.org).