Tikkun v’Or Member Contributions: Three-Part Financial Structure
Congregation Tikkun v’Or raises the funds we need through dues, gifts and fees. Our financial structure is inspired by traditional Jewish values of fairness, dignity, inclusivity and generosity.
Finances should never be a barrier to Tikkun v’Or membership. However, to ensure the long-term viability of the temple, we ask that you please think seriously about your level of support and follow the suggested guidelines to the best of your ability. Dues, gifts and fees are all fully tax deductible.
Dues are assessed in two parts, and then we offer an additional giving opportunity:
1) The hetzi-shekel portion ($90 per household) is intended to symbolize the equality of all members in the community, regardless of income. The concept derives from the story told in the book of Exodus that Moses and Aaron collected a half-shekel from each of the Israelites as their first contribution toward building the sanctuary.
2) The income-based (“fair share”) dues are 1.6% of household income from all sources. The sliding scale dues structure reflects our community’s commitment to justice and fairness. These are guidelines. Please pay as circumstances allow.
As an example, if your gross income is $40,000 X 0.016=$640 Suggested “Fair Share” Dues Payment.
Our projected budget depends on most members self-assessing and paying at the 1.6% level. However, if life circumstances affect your ability to pay dues at the target level or at the times indicated, please self-assess at a lower level or adjust the payment schedule as needed. You can also contact us, Laurie Willick and Sue Merkel firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss your dues at any time. Finances should never be a barrier to Tikkun v’Or membership.
3) Gifts: The hetzi-shekel and income-based dues (described above) comprise about 66% of our budget. Thus, Tikkun v’Or also relies on nediv lev, which translates as “generosity” or “giving from the heart.” This phrase comes from the book of Exodus where it is told that the Israelites offered materials for building the sanctuary with a “willing heart,” each contributing according to their ability. Nediv lev contributions to Tikkun v’Or account for approximately 15% of yearly revenue and are requested during our annual spring fundraising campaign.
Fees for the Jewish Learning Experiences (JLE) program and b’nei mitzvah program help cover the costs of these programs. If school fees pose a financial hardship, please be in touch with the TVO presidents, Sue Merkel and Laurie Willick, at email@example.com , to make an adjustment. Note that first-year families with students in grades K-5 are given the option of paying a slightly higher school fee that includes temple membership (i.e., if this option is chosen, other temple membership dues are waived for that first year). Please contact our school administrator, Naomi Wilensky firstname.lastname@example.org, with questions about fees or registration.
- Check: Congregation Tikkun v’Or, PO Box 3981, Ithaca NY 14852. Please note “Membership Dues” in the memo.
- Online using PayPal
- Credit card: Contact Sally Ezra at email@example.com or (607) 256-1471 or enter credit card information on the dues form.